My winter coat and I have had an amazing relationship over the last five years. Yes, you read that right. Five glorious years. With its perfectly tailored cut and gorgeous pea green color, it's been there for me - with style- through many bitter Chicago winds and snowstorms. Sadly, toward the end of last winter, one of the arms got caught on an airport security belt, and it emerged from the other end with several nice big tears. Sigh.
It got cold very suddenly this week, and I was forced to pull my trusty winter friend, rips and all, from the back of the closet. As much as I wish I could stretch out our relationship for one more season, I've faced the reality that prancing down the street on a daily basis with gaping holes in my arm and side seam probably isn't the best idea. On the upside, I get to go shopping! My sister Morgan is coming up for the weekend and I told her that coat shopping was an imperative part of the agenda. But I've been doing some digging online too, and have found some pretty incredible examples of winter outerwear that might be contenders, as seen above. I can't make up my mind though, so I need your help! I'd like something fairly neutral (can you tell I like gray?), but mustard (my favorite color) is always an exception.
Ascot Swing Coat from Anthropologie. There isn't much I don't love about this one. The color, the bow tie collar, the buttons = yes, please. $168
2. The Carefully Chosen Coat from Modcloth. Absolutely adore the houndstooth pattern and asymmetrical collar. $99.99
3. The July S Gray Wool Coat by JS Custom on Etsy. This one looks like it could definitely withstand a Chicago winter or two. Plus, look at those oversized buttons! $99
4. The Wool Jersey Peacoat by Orla Kiely. While completely out of my price range, the A-line silhouette and detailing on the pockets are perfection. $595
5. The Military Tailored Coat by FM908 on Etsy. The collar and angled pocket closures are to die for. $118
6. The Beyond the Gold Coat from Modcloth. Love the simple cut, princess seams, and pretty gold accents. $104.99
So spill it! Which is your favorite? I'm going to wait to make any purchases online until Morgan and I hit up some stores, but I'd like to narrow these down in case. A thrifted and/or vintage coat is a possibility as well. One of my favorite coats of all time is a wool cape that my grandmother gave me. It was hers in the '50s and it's pretty amazing, but not suited for everyday use. I'd also love any suggestions for eco-friendly coats (they're not so easy to come by).
Thanks in advance for your help! I'll be sure to let you know what I end up getting.
wedding video that Robbie and I put together of our big day. If you'd like to see it, just click here!